Sunday 16 December 2018

Magazine - Artist interviews

Primary research

Having found some different artists that I wanted to include I decided that it would be interesting to speak to them about the reasoning for the socially driven design responses. This would really help to bring all of the content together in the magazine. 

I messaged them on instagram first as I have previously found that it is the most effective way to initially spark a conversation. 

As the projects I chose form the two designers did not have a large body of work, I don't think they would be included in the magazine if the interview with them does not come back. 

Eike Köenig
@eikekoenig
hort.org.uk

I messaged Eike Köenig, a Berlin designer who I have followed for a long period of time and always been very interested by his outcomes. He set up Studio Hort to allow for the more commercial outcomes, exploring a large amount of the creative disciplines. 


About Hort:
"Their work is original and amazing"
– Amazon review
Hort emerged from the Frankfurt techno scene in 1994, originally founded by Eike König as "Eikes grafischer Hort". The studio moved to Berlin in 2007 and has been growing as a group ever since. Hort does art direction, branding, creative consultancy, editorial design, graphic design, illustration, lectures and workshops. Hort works with institutions such as Arte, Bauhaus Dessau, Bergen Assembly, Mousonturm, Frankfurter Positionen and Tanzplattform Deutschland, as well as brands like Adobe, IBM, Microsoft, Nike, The New York Times and Universal Music. People working at Hort are Anne Büttner, Eike König, Elizabeth Legate, Tim Rehm, Tim Schmitt, Tim Sürken and Alan Woo, together with other freelancers and interns.
My email to him
Hey!


I am a Leeds based graphic designer, working on a mini editorial magazine. The content is socially/culturally driven and will include works of designers who respond to current issues in a creative way. I was wondering if I could feature your pieces about the power of your voice. (Election Day USA)

The work perfectly dresses how graphic design cane used a s a response to current issues in our society.

It would be great to hear a little bit about the project and the design decisions, if possible?

Would be super grateful to hear back from you, 

Hannah

His reply
Hi Hannah,

Sorry for my late reply.
I usually don’t talk about my work as I don’t want to push it in one direction.
It should stay readable by each personally … it does work differently depending on who is looking at it. And that’s what language is about. It includes a lot of interpretation. 

Best, E



Johanna Burai 
@johannaburai
Johanna Burai is an artist and multidisciplinary designer based between Stockholm and London. She mainly works in the cultural field creating concepts through a wide range of disciplines such as graphic design, art direction, ceramics and illustration. She graduated with a BFA in Visual Communication from Beckmans College of Design in 2015 and are currently studying a MFA at Konstfack University of Arts, Crafts and Design.


My email to her

Hey!

I am a Leeds based graphic designer, working on a mini editorial magazine. The content is socially/culturally driven and will include works of designers who respond to current issues in a creative way. I was wondering if I could feature your ”It Looks Like Activism But It Is Advertising” - Short Notes on Faux Feminism in Advertising, please. 

It would be fab to hear a little bit more about the project and some of the design decisions that you made if you would like to discuss. 

Would be super grateful to hear back from you, 

Hannah 

Reply
Unfortunately despite saying she would be interested, I did not hear back from her before the magazine needed to be printed. I decided not to use her project as part of the content because without more of an insight from the designer it would have been hard to have written about it in an accurate manner. I look forward to hearing back from her in the future as I am sure that the response will inform me within my practice in another way to initially intended. 




No comments:

Post a Comment